On Wed, 8 May 2024 05:37:24 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Can I please get a review for this patch which proposes to implement the
>> enhancement request noted in
>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8173970?
>>
>> The commit in this PR introduces the `-o` and `--output-dir` option to the
>> `jar` command. The option takes a path to a destination directory as a value
>> and extracts the contents of the jar into that directory. This is an
>> optional option and the changes in the commit continue to maintain backward
>> compatibility where the jar is extracted into current directory, if no `-o`
>> or `--output-dir` option has been specified.
>>
>> As far as I know, there hasn't been any discussion on what the name of this
>> new option should be. I was initially thinking of using `-d` but that is
>> currently used by the `jar` command for a different purpose. So I decided to
>> use `-o` and `--output-dir`. This is of course open for change depending on
>> any suggestions in this PR.
>>
>> The commit in this PR also updates the `jar.properties` file which contains
>> the English version of the jar command's `--help` output. However, no
>> changes have been done to the internationalization files corresponding to
>> this one (for example: `jar_de.properties`), because I don't know what
>> process needs to be followed to have those files updated (if at all they
>> need to be updated).
>>
>> The commit also includes a jtreg testcase which verifies the usage of this
>> new option.
>
> Jaikiran Pai has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a
> merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains 15 commits:
>
>  - cleanup testExtractNoDestDirWithPFlag() test
>  - merge latest from master branch
>  - merge latest from master branch
>  - convert the new test to junit
>  - merge latest from master branch
>  - Lance's review - include tests for --extract long form option
>  - cleanup after each test
>  - Adjust test for new error messages
>  - Lance's review - add a code comment for xdestDir
>  - Lance's review - updates to the help messages in jar.properties
>  - ... and 5 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/3b8227ba...46fb5a8e

Hello everyone, this was a PR that I had opened some years back to introduce an
option for the `jar` command to extract the contents to a directory of choice.
After evaluating the option name (discussion within this PR), we had settled on
`--dir` as the option. For some reason (I don't recollect) I never took this PR
to completion. I've now reopened this PR and merged with the latest master
branch and run all the tests including the new ones introduced in this PR. I
would like to take this to completion, so I request reviews on this.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/2752#issuecomment-2116762815