On 22/03/2017, Sam Kuper <sam.ku...@uclmail.net> wrote:
> On 21/03/2017, Martin Roth <gauml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wouldn't selecting CC BY-SA 4.0 also prevent that, if they're licensed
>> at CC BY-SA 3.0?
>
> No, it would not prevent *importing* it, as the CC BY-SA licenses are
> forward-compatible.
>
> However, it would prevent *exporting* material from the Coreboot wiki
> to a CC BY-SA 3.0-licensed resource.

N.B. I might have used "forward-compatible" incorrectly above (perhaps
it should have been "backward-compatible"? I get those terms mixed
up...). Everything else there is correct, though. In short, CC
BY-SA-licensed material under a given version of that license can be
re-used under the same or later versions of the license but not under
earlier versions of the license. (I'm assuming all the other
requirements of the license are complied with.)