Am Di., 17. Nov. 2020 um 05:06 Uhr schrieb Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se>:

> It's absurd to me that coreboot would require any routines out of any
> submodule for a build which will not use those routines.

coreboot doesn't, cbfstool does.

One purpose of Kconfig is to ensure that only what's neccessary gets built.

But cbfstool isn't hooked up to Kconfig. Given that it's not part of the
final coreboot build, having extra stuff in cbfstool doesn't affect
coreboot in the slightest, so it's not clear to me that we should change
that.

> It's wrong to pull in anything during build. I too am guilty of this

by pushing for buildgcc, it would be good to improve that case too.

Given your reference to buildgcc, I guess you mean "download"? In that
case: git clone --recurse-submodules and there's not a single extra
download going on at build time.
I know because I frequently deal with two systems that forbid downloads at
build time: qa.coreboot.org and Chromium OS' build infrastructure.

It is because that's what consistently causes me extra work and
> frustration every time I want to build a minimal coreboot.

git clone --recurse-submodules is extra work, really?

What some people always want isn't OK to require when other people do
> not want it. I think that's just lazy, and not the smart kind. :\

Some people do not want ramstage. Some people do not want blobs. Some
people do not want x86 support. They still carry the baggage when
downloading coreboot.

Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: