On 7/22/21 3:53 PM, Matt DeVillier wrote:
>> I get "No EEPROM/flash device found".  Running with -V, I see flashrom is
>> just reading all 1's.
>
> you need to open the CCD first. With the battery disconnected, from a
> terminal attached to /dev/ttyUSB0, run:
> ccd open
> ccd reset factory
> ccd
>
> that should show the ccd state as open, with all capabilities in
> column 1 set to 'Y'.
>
> then flashrom will be able to detect / read / write the flash chip

I believe that I have already done all of that.  But please, check to see if I
know what I'm doing here:

> ccd
State: Opened
Password: none
Flags: 0x400005
Capabilities: 5555555555000000
  UartGscRxAPTx   Y 1=Always
  UartGscTxAPRx   Y 1=Always
  UartGscRxECTx   Y 1=Always
  UartGscTxECRx   Y 1=Always
  FlashAP         Y 1=Always
  FlashEC         Y 1=Always
  OverrideWP      Y 1=Always
  RebootECAP      Y 1=Always
  GscFullConsole  Y 1=Always
  UnlockNoReboot  Y 1=Always
  UnlockNoShortPP Y 1=Always
  OpenNoTPMWipe   Y 1=Always
  OpenNoLongPP    Y 1=Always
  BatteryBypassPP Y 1=Always
  UpdateNoTPMWipe Y 1=Always
  I2C             Y 1=Always
  FlashRead       Y 1=Always
  OpenNoDevMode   Y 1=Always
  OpenFromUSB     Y 1=Always
  OverrideBatt    Y 1=Always
read_tpm_nvmem: object at 0x100a not found
[50.223548 Console unlock allowed]
read_tpm_nvmem: object at 0x1007 not found
TPM:
Capabilities are modified.
Use 'ccd help' to print subcommands

> ccd testlab
CCD test lab mode enabled

> see above, the ccd being closed w/default capabilities set is
> preventing the flash chip from being visible/read/written.
>
> I've used ccd to read/write many an AP flash, including APL/GLK Chromebooks.

Including a Samsung octopus board?  Samsung didn't "cut corners" on the design
implementation?

I'm hoping very much that the problem is something simple.  But still:

$ sudo ./flashrom -p raiden_debug_spi:target=AP
flashrom abb3b091 on Linux 5.12.14-arch1-1 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Raiden target: 2
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.

After running flashrom, the machine appears always to reboot.  The Cr50 console
says:

[631.035522 enable_spi_pinmux: AP]
[631.106361 usb_spi_board_disable]
[631.668071 AP UART on]
[631.669563 CCD state: UARTAP+TX UARTEC+TX I2C SPI USBEC+TX]
[631.884475 deferred_tpm_rst_isr]
[631.885501 AP on]
[631.886077 tpm_reset_request(0, 0)]
[631.886932 tpm_reset_now(0)]
[631.890377 tpm_init]
tpm_manufactured: manufactured
[631.892402 tpm_reset_now: done]
[632.031471 AC: R-]

Are there any other things to try, before heating-up the soldering iron?  Is
there any way to cross-check what flashrom is seeing?  Is there any way for
Cr50 to directly access the AP boot flash memory itself and then report through
the Cr50 console, without involving flashrom?

I see something called "spihash", which gives:

> spihash ap
[1396.457412 enable_spi_pinmux: AP]
[1396.460723 spi_hash_pp_done: AP]

Then, there is a delay, followed spontaneously by:

[1456.460903 spi_hash_disable]
[1457.020969 AP UART on]
[1457.022476 CCD state: UARTAP+TX UARTEC+TX I2C SPI USBEC+TX]
[1457.237365 deferred_tpm_rst_isr]
[1457.238426 AP on]
[1457.239028 tpm_reset_request(0, 0)]
[1457.239898 tpm_reset_now(0)]
[1457.243381 tpm_init]
tpm_manufactured: manufactured
[1457.245449 tpm_reset_now: done]
[1457.384220 AC: R-]

It doesn't look like "spihash ap" is returning anything.  But then, from what
little I've been able to find, the hash is only suppose to perform some kind of
security validation.  And "spihash ec" acts about the same.

As to the "broken hardware" theory, have you ever heard of anyone attaching a
flash programmer to a Google octopus board and successfully reading flash
memory content *in circuit*?

Thanks
James