Hi Mickaël,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 11:29 AM Master <master...@hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope you're doing fine
>
> I would like to do some trials to see if I may be able to support few boards
> I have cause they are aftermarket withoout EFI and without firmware updates
> and not working as I would like them to.
> (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1370496/cant-boot-latests-lives-for-install-without-kernel-option-noapic-would-like)
> I really would not like to throw them...
>
> They are X58 chipset with ICH10  with Xeon Westmere on socket 1366 and
> SuperIO NCT5532D.
> (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/x58-express-chipset-datasheet.pdf)
> (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/io-controller-hub-10-family-datasheet.pdf)
> (https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/1042365/novoTon/NCT5532D/1)

Only the ICH10 southbridge (southbridge/intel/i82801jx) is currently
supported. Neither the CPU nor the X58 IOH are supported. Most of the
complexity is RAM initialization, especially because Intel does not
publicly document the relevant registers. It would likely take years
for an experienced developer to implement RAM init in coreboot.

The NCT5532D Super I/O isn't supported either, but it's easy to add
support for it using the datasheet.

> I have the tooling to backup and restore the flash and already done that few
> time.
> I have built latest coreboot (4.14 using lenovo x201 config) with EDK2
> firmware as payload (edk2-stable202108 NOOPT) successfully but nothing is
> happening after flash swap and power on.

Flashing a firmware image for a different board is a bad idea. In
extreme cases, incompatible GPIO configuration can result in
short-circuits. It's unlikely, though.

> I have RS232 debug working at ttyS0 (at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4, base_baud =
> 115200) is a 16550A)
> From the original firmware, just after power on, even before any bip or
> display or keyboard light I see "Socket = 0" on serial, so the the original
> firmware is able to output to this serial very early.
>
> I read quite a lot of literature about coreboot, but still, I am not sure how
> to pursue now.

It's hard. I can give you general ideas on how to proceed (I'm pretty
sure we can get coreboot to print something over RS232), but RAM init
is still a major roadblock. Once serial output is working, it's
possible to use SerialICE to gather useful information to reimplement
RAM init.