note that I am having this exact same problem in the RISC-V community:
https://github.com/riscv-non-isa/riscv-sbi-doc/issues/102

People just like their SMM. It's hard to kill.

I fear that you're not going to get much luck with Intel, which is why I
try to work with non-Intel CPUs as much as I can nowadays.