Oren is one of my Facebook friends and he has been a member of the Content
Strategy group I founded since 2012
- https://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Content-Strategy/members/12671412/ - but I
suspect it's the whole "yesterday's darling is today's villain" kind of
thing. It doesn't matter what I do, unless I am funding something that
relates to their sphere of interest, very few of the late 20s early 30s
crowd cares to engage. They know who I am. I am the guy they want to take
out.

The reality is, I have been actually running profitable companies, paying
for the livelihoods of my wife and child, building a family, speaking
nationally at conferences (https://www.slideshare.net/axzm) and you know...
actually doing, not just talking about it with my buddies.

I literally do not have time to go to some obscure startup mixer across
town to play politics with a bunch of 20 somethings.

I see it in their eyes when I run across some of them though.

They want the nice car. They want the family. They want a successful agency
/ consulting career. They want national speaking gigs.

And if they don't, then they see me as the version of success they don't
like or want to see fall to the waist side.

I know at least 1/3 (if not half) the startup scene has jumped into web &
digital marketing consulting (a space I have been in for over 14 years) and
that is definitely where some (if not most) of the hyper-competitiveness
has come from IMO. I've heard outright lies and a-typical positioning in
the community (who I do not depend on to pay my bills) that basically talk
a lot of trash about me and are just outright haters.

Like I said, I have never done business with any of them (although I am
sure I might have fired a few of them / or their friends for
non-performance at my agency over the years).

If I can call a spade a spade - I believe a good portion of Millennials in
the south (as I have observed) have built this little meritocracy where
they create a false reality and sphere of influence. All their buddies (who
have nothing but time on their hands - because they aren't actually working
on the two consulting accounts they have) say they are the best at X and no
one really knows any better, so people reinforce that narrative because
"community".

Any outsider (especially market leaders and incumbents) are a potential
threat/enemy to the righteous and morally correct way of doing X. Really,
it's just a self perpetuated hype machine to funnel opportunity back into
their pockets, whether they can actually perform for their client/project
or not.

Because community.

I'm old school.

Show and prove.

Out teach the competition.

Be it, don't talk about it.

I will be speaking at General Assembly in Seattle next month if anyone in
the Seattle startup scene wants to link up
- https://www.meetup.com/Content-Strategy-Seattle/events/240054897/