Never mind, I got it, thanks.

The problem was that I did not apply the "specs" patch to gcc. This fixes
everything, of course, producing the right answer for

readelf -l a.out | grep ': /tools'

below, and makes the chroot-ing possible.

I would like to take the opportunity to suggest the CLFS gurus to include such
a warning in the documentation. The importance of that patch ought to be
emphasized. I skipped it, since I've compiled gcc-4.4.3, and the patch is
designated for gcc-4.4.2. But then I remembered reading something long time ago
in the LSF books about making the changes in the "SPECS" explicitely, which
rose the suspicion that the above named patch would do that in this version of
CLFS. It turned out to be true...

Happy compilation to Everyone,
Tibor