Peter Gutmann wrote:
"Perry E. Metzger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Why is it, then, that banks are not taking digital photographs of customers
when they open their accounts so that the manager's computer can pop up a
picture for him, which the bank has had in possession the entire time and
which I could not have forged?

I don't know about photos specifically, but I know that signature imprints are
often still moved around by laborious manual means because the background
infrastructure to handle images doesn't exist.

My bank doesn't even bother to move them around, as I discovered when I had a chequebook stolen and cheques for large sums forged, and honoured.

When I spoke to a person who had found the cheque in their store I asked "is it my signature?" (yes, I am sufficiently absent-minded that I might have written a large cheque and forgotten about it). Their response was that they didn't know and had no way to find out. In the end they faxed me a copy so I could check it myself.

Cheers,

Ben.