Ed Gerck wrote:
List,

I would like to address and request comments on the use of SSL/TLS and port 587 for email security.

The often expressed idea that SSL/TLS and port 587 are somehow able to prevent warrantless wiretapping and so on, or protect any private communications, is IMO simply not supported by facts.

Warrantless wiretapping and so on, and private communications eavesdropping are done more efficiently and covertly directly at the ISPs (hence the name "warrantless wiretapping"), where SSL/TLS protection does NOT apply. There is a security gap at every negotiated SSL/TLS session.

It is misleading to claim that port 587 solves the security problem of email eavesdropping, and gives people a false sense of security. It is worse than using a 56-bit DES key -- the email is in plaintext where it is most vulnerable.

Perhaps you'd like to expand upon this a bit. I am a bit confused by your assertion. tcp/587 is the standard authenticated submission port, while tcp/465 is the normal smtp/ssl port - of course one could run any mix of one or the other on either port. Are you suggesting that some postmasters/admins are claiming that their Submission ports are encrypted?

--

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fingerprint: 1024D/89420B8E 2001-09-16

No one can understand the truth until