   Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:47:40 PST
   From: "Donato Ranzato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Larmenius

>From: "xxxx"
>
>that suggestion tends to suggest that forgery is the answer for the
>document - i am very interested to hear other arguments

Gould in his History of Freemasonry declares the document to be spurious
largely on the grounds that the Latin of the transcript does not conform
to fourteenth-century practice and that no original of the document has
ever been seen. This latter criticism was remedied in 1911 when Bro.
Fred Crowe, a member of Quatuor Coronati Lodge, published a paper
claiming to have found the original. This was in the form of a parchment
written in cipher based on dissections of the Templar Cross. On
translating the document it was found to be in accord with the
transcripts previously published but, more importantly, it contained
certain abbreviated forms of words as were in use in the fourteenth
century and the absence of which would have cast severe doubts upon its
authenticity.

The parchment can be seen in Mark Masons' Hall. There would not seem to
be any further references which either prove or disprove its
genuineness. A further criticism of the Charter is that by their
Statutes the knights elected the Grand Master by an elaborate system of
lot and ballot, whereas in this document each Master appoints his own
successor. However, this change in procedure is recorded in the document
itself which reads: Therefore with the help of God and with the sole
consent of the supreme Assembly of the Knights, I have conferred . . .

Quatuor Coronati Lodge has a website, so maybe they have more
information about that paper by Bro. Fred Crowe. Otherwise some English
listmembers could possibly go to Mark Masons' Hall and see the Charter
for themselves if it is still there.

I remember xxxxx hinting about the importance of the dissections
of the Templar Cross on the templars onelist. Maybe he can give some
more info about this interesting subject.

Donato Ranzato

"Rerum Cognoscere Causas"

-----
Aloha, He'Ping,