-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=17495
Bill Berkowitz
WorkingForChange
08.19.04
Bush's dubious terror alerts
Is administration's political agenda driving warnings of terrorism?

WASHINGTON -- "The Bush administration has discovered no evidence of imminent
plans by terrorists to attack U.S. financial buildings, nearly two weeks after
the government issued startling warnings about such possible threats, a White
House official said." -- Associated Press, August 12, 2004.

When the going gets tough, the "tough" get to issuing terrorist alerts,
announcing high profile arrests, and raising the terrorism threat level. Since
January 2002, according to JuliusBlog, an Internet web log, there have been at
least fifteen incidents where Team Bush, responding to adverse news or dipping
presidential poll numbers, turned either Attorney General John Ashcroft or
Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge loose to ramp up talk of terrorism and
terrorist attacks.

The latest episode aired on August 1, shortly after the conclusion of the
Democratic National Convention, when Secretary Ridge raised the Homeland
Security Department's terrorist level to Code Orange -- "high threat of
terrorist attacks" -- claiming that there was ample information about
terrorists targeting the financial services sector in New York City, northern
New Jersey and Washington, D.C. to warrant the action. In prepared remarks,
Ridge told the press: "...reports indicate that al-Qaeda is targeting several
specific buildings, including the International Monetary Fund and World Bank in
the District of Columbia; Prudential Financial in Northern New Jersey; and
Citigroup buildings and the New York Stock Exchange in New York." The rest of
the country remained at Code Yellow -- "significant risk of terrorist attacks."

One week later, the New York Times reported that Pakistan had warned the United
States "that Al Qaeda has considered using tourist helicopters in terror
attacks in New York City." Within hours reporters were on the scene
interviewing heliport personnel and scaring the bejeezus out of tourists coming
off their flights.

In the run-up to the Republican Party Convention in New York City later this
month, terrorist alerts are rolling out of the Dept. of Homeland Security
faster than the grounds crew rolls out the Yankee Stadium tarp during a sudden
summer shower.

With each real or perceived threat, the American people are reminded of the
president's belief that we live in the age of the permanent war against
terrorism, a stance he spelled out in a November 2002 document titled "Securing
the Homeland, Strengthening the Nation." While outlining his budget priorities,
Bush maintained that the threat of terrorism is "an inescapable reality of life
in the 21st century" and "a permanent condition to which America and the entire
world must adjust." The president also said:

    "Today's terrorists can strike at any place, at any time, and with a wide
variety of weapons. The most urgent terrorist threat to America is the Al Qaeda
network. We will prosecute our war with these terrorists until they are routed
from the Earth. But we will not let our guard down after we defeat Al Qaeda.
The terrorist threat to America takes many forms, has many places to hide, and
is often invisible. We can never be sure that we have defeated all of our
terrorist enemies, and therefore we can never again allow ourselves to become
overconfident about the security of our homeland."

Ramping up the Homeland Security Dept.'s threat level may result in greater
vigilance amongst both law enforcement and the public, and it is conceivable
that a terrorist attack may have been prevented. The cranking-up of the threat
level, however, also drives the panic-mongers, most notably the 24/7 cable news
networks: "Terrorist Alert" banners drape the screen, crawls get creepier, and
terrorist experts are trucked out to provide wall-to-wall commentary.

After several years of warnings, and no major terrorist incident, some are
questioning the accuracy and timing of these alerts: Are they based on new
information or old information? Is the information reliable? How great is the
threat? Should we take for granted the administration's oft-heard mantra that
Al Qaeda wants to disrupt the November elections?

With the presidential election less than three months away, there are those
with the temerity to question these warnings: Are there other stories -- the
continued fighting in Iraq, the mounting death toll of U.S. service personnel,
more Abu Ghraib revelations -- that are overshadowed by terrorist warnings? Are
the recent warnings aimed at discouraging protesters from demonstrating at the
GOP convention? Is there a relationship between how the president is doing at
the polls and the issuing of terrorist alerts?

JuliusBlog, posted under the pseudonym Julius Civitatus, along with Biltud, put
together a chart and timeline (available at the site) which in part compares
"Bush approval numbers to the timeline of terror alerts." Although JuliusBlog
doesn't claim that all the "alerts are politically motivated," it "is important
to note...that many of these 'immediate' terror alerts were later on
discredited."

A few examples provided by JuliusBlog:

    February 2002: A week after Ken Lay was subpoenaed by Congress to testify
about Enron, and the media latched on to the Bush/Lay connection, Attorney
General John Ashcroft called on "all Americans to be on the highest state of
alert" after an FBI warning of a possible imminent terrorist attack.

    June 9, 2002: Whistleblower Coleen Rowley testified before Congress "that
she had tried to notify her superiors about the suspicious flight students
9/11...compare[ing] the agency's bureaucracy to the 'Little Shop Of Horrors,'
[and told] Congress the FBI could have done more to prevent the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks. Two days later, at a press conference in Russia, Attorney
General Ashcroft announced the arrest of Jose Padilla, the "dirty bomb" suspect.

    July 25 through July 29, 2003: After delaying the publication of Congress'
findings on 9/11, the government publishes them, but deleted 28 pages "believed
to detail Saudi funding of members of Al Qaeda in the Untied States prior to
Sept. 11." Shortly after U.S. troops were charged with beating Iraqi POWs and
15 U.S. soldiers died over 8 days in Iraq, the Department of Homeland Security
"issue[d] a warning about the possibility of suicide attacks on airplanes."

    December 18, through December 21, 2003: During this period, 9/11 Committee
Chair Thomas Kean pointed out that the attacks were preventable; a federal
appeals court ruled the government can not detain U.S. citizen Jose Padilla
indefinitely without pressing charges against him or allowing him access to the
courts; the Wall Street Journal reported that Pentagon auditors accused
Halliburton of refusing to hand over internal documents related to allegations
that it overcharged the U.S. government in Iraq; and David Kay, the heads of
the weapons inspection team in Iraq, quits, having found no WMDs. Secretary
Ridge raised the terror threat level in time for the holidays.

According to JuliusBlog: 1) when Bush's poll ratings dip, "there's a new terror
alert"; 2) the alerts are followed by "a slight uptick" in the president's
approval ratings; 3) "Whenever there are many unfavorable headlines, there's
another alert or announcement (distraction effect)"; 4) As the November
elections get closer, "the number and frequency of terror alerts keeps growing,
to the point that they collapse in the graphic."

JuliusBlog is paying a price for his work. In an e-mail, the creator of the web
log told me that while the "attacks on his computer were waning," the first few
days after the posting he received "an avalanche of emails loaded with viruses,
some even disguised (or forged), as journalists asking about the timeline. Even
though I'm very savvy about these matters, and won't ever open any of these
virus-laden emails, somehow something nasty got into my home computer on Sunday
and destroyed all data and boot records."

Although he admits to not having a "clue" as to who might be behind the
sabotage, it is "obviously someone unhappy" with the chart and timeline. "There
are some infamous right-wing activists groups on the net that engage in all
sorts of harassment activities like these. While I have no clue or proof to
point at anyone in particular, I am working with my ISP and email provider to
locate the origins of these attacks."

"Julius Civitatus" said that he was "surprised that nobody in the so-called
mainstream media thought about plotting all the terror alerts in a chart."

It is worth remembering that since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World
Trade Center and the Pentagon, other than the anthrax attacks in 2001 -- the
perpetrator/s of those incidents remain at large -- there has been a series of
seemingly well-orchestrated false alarms: Terrorist attacks on bridges, water
systems, transportation hubs, and nuclear power plants have not occurred; the
use of chemical or biological weapons have not materialized; there have been no
"dirty bombers" or suicide bombers; and the much-hyped smallpox epidemic --
remember when President Bush pushed for a national smallpox vaccination
program? -- has not happened.

When the threat level is raised, polls invariably find Americans becoming more
fearful and more anxious. The alerts sustain public anxiety even if information
later proves the threat was over-hyped. This was best exemplified by the
near-panic atmosphere Secretary Ridge caused by his Duct Tape & Plastic
Sheeting Advisory in early 2003. Imagine the response if there actually were
another foreign-initiated terrorist attack on American soil?

-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __
/-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_|
\_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\
|__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/

SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter and discussion list associated to
Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal
http://mprofaca.cro.net
Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called (or self-proclaimed)
"reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation collected
by Spy News moderator and subscribers and posted to Spy News
for OSINT purposes - it should be a serious reason (particularly to
journalists and web publishers) to think twice before using it for their
story writing, further publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it
available without profit to SPY NEWS members who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the
understanding of intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their
activities, methods, techniques, human rights, civil liberties and other
only. We always mention the author and link the original site and page of every
article. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted
material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish
to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair
use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:

SPY NEWS home page:

Mario Profaca
http://mprofaca.cro.net/profaca.html