-   _______   ____   ______
   /  |/  /  /___/  / /_ //    M I D - E A S T   R E A L I T I E S
  / /|_/ /  /_/_   / /\\         Making Sense of the Middle East
 /_/  /_/  /___/  /_/  \\        BARAK ALREADY SOUNDS LIKE BIBI
 http://www.MiddleEast.Org

  News, Information, & Analysis That Governments, Interest Groups,
        and the Corporate Media Don't Want You To Know!
      For latest informaton email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 SO, JUST WHAT'S REALLY CHANGED?

   MER - Washington, 2 June:  Different styles and temperaments, true.
Different supporters as well. And a chance for the Arafat group to take a
deep breath and squander abit more time and hope, and for "liberal"
American Jews to pretend some more, also true.  But when it comes to
actual policies...well there the differences are far harder to find.
Indeed, just read this article in yesterday's Ha'aretz, Israel's
leading newspaper, remembering that what Barak is doing now is precisely
the same thing Netanyahu did last year.  OK, we know...we've warned you
to watch out for this kind of thing before!  Good Cops/Bad Cops is a
constant theme in Israeli manuevering when it comes to the political
theatrics of dealing with both the Arabs and the Americans.
   Meanwhile, most importantly of all, the settlements continue to
expand, the viable land continues to be gobbled up by the occupying
power, the demolition of Palestinian homes continues, and for Jewish
expansion purposes the borders of eastern Jerusalem have now been
extended far into the desert further severing the West Bank with a
stretch now annexed to Israel.

               BARAK MAY "SKIP" TO FINAL STATUS TALKS
             By David Makovsky, Diplomatic Correspondent

[Ha'aretz, 1 June 1999]: Prime Minister-elect Ehud Barak is considering
whether to consult with the U.S. and the Palestinians about not
implementing the Wye agreement and instead jumping directly to final
status talks, Labor Party sources say.

According to aides, Barak is planning to omit the implementation of the
Wye agreement from the coalition guidelines, although they will mention
the Oslo accords.

Until now, the Palestinians and the U.S. have been assuming that Barak
would immediately implement the last two stages of the Wye accord when he
becomes prime minister.

In 1995, after he joined the Rabin government, Barak was the only member
of the inner circle dealing with peace negotiations who opposed the
interim pullbacks put forward in the Oslo II agreement, preferring that
everything be left for the final accord.

Should Barak hold consultations, they will be based on the premise that
his government will have the political clout - which the Netanyahu
government lacked - to deliver a final status deal, and hence there is no
need for interim steps.

According to a Labor Party source, "Barak is considering talking to the
U.S. and the Palestinians about not implementing Wye and going straight
to final status. He has not made a final decision.

"However, even if he does so, he would not unilaterally jump to final
status against the wishes of the U.S. and the Palestinians, since [Wye]
is an international agreement signed by the government of Israel."

The Netanyahu government withdrew from 2 percent of the estimated 13
percent of the territories due to be handed over under the Wye agreement.

Barak's thoughts of skipping over the Wye agreement comes at the same
time as he has told the National Religious Party (NRP) that settlement
activity can continue under certain conditions. "Barak said clearly that
he won't freeze settlements," stated NRP head Education Minister Yitzhak
Levy.

Even if Barak goes ahead with Wye, keeping mention of it out of the
government's statement of principles could also make it easier for Barak
to woo right-wing elements such as the NRP.

"We are worried about the intentions of this new government. During its
campaign, the Labor Party said funds would be for schools, not
settlements," said Faisal Husseini, the top PLO official in Jerusalem.
"To bring into the government parties that support settlement makes us
wonder about the intentions of this government.

       M  I  D  -  E  A  S  T      R  E  A  L  I  T  I  E  S
                       http://WWW.MiddleEast.Org
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] / Fax: 202 362-6965 / Phone: 202 362-5266