-Caveat Lector-

-----Original Message-----
From: State and Local Freedom of Information Issues
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jim Warren
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 12:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: alleged BBC alleged allegation against CNN is DEFINITELY
*FORGED*

[The net's glorious rumor-DEBUNKING power, herewith refutes in less
than 24 hours, its equally notorious rumor-generating power.  Please
forward this to anyone to whom you forwarded the earlier *forged*
message/allegation.]

I found a way to get email to the *alleged* author of the email that
alleged that CNN aired old 1991 footage as being of *current*
anti-American demonstrations.  (We know such demonstrations happened;
the ONLY two questions were whether the particular CNN footage was
current, and whether the recent message critical of CNN really was
authored by a BBC Manager.)

The latest allegation against CNN arrived yesterday via Farber's IP list --
At 07:12 PM -0400 09/19/01, David Farber wrote:
>>Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:54:11 -0400
>>From: Eric Rosenthal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>
>>>There's an important point in the power of press, specifically the power
of
>>>CNN.  All around the world we are subjected to 3 or 4 huge news
distributors
...<snip>...

I just sent email to the *alleged* author of the charges against CNN,
*at* BBC, and just received this answer, that I consider
authoritative:

>From: Russell Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Jim Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: seeking to validate OR refute a
>statement, *alleged* to be by you
>Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:37:46 +0100
>
>Russell Grossman is out of the office for most of Friday 21st September
>please contact Susannah Robson on 020 7765 3627 for any urgent stuff.
>
>If you're enquiring about an email circulating with details of CNN footage
>of Palestinians, which has Russell's name on the bottom : it wasn't sent by
>him and was not issued by the BBC.  It seems to be the work of someone
>seeking to make mischief.  BBC footage used that day was from AP, not CNN.

Since this is a response directly from the BBC eaddr to which I
emailed my query, I'm confident that the BBC manager's name and
sig-lines were *FORGED* on the original message.

That dog don't hunt!

Please note that this refutes the *authorship* of the message; not
the allegation against CNN.  However, the allegation seems *highly*
unlikely.

[Footnote:  BBC says the footage was from AP-TV.  CNN has said that
their footage was from Reuters.  Presumably, it's different footage.]

End-of-story!

--jim
Jim Warren; [EMAIL PROTECTED], technology & public policy columnist &
advocate
345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062; voice/650-851-7075; fax/off due to
spam-glut

[self-inflating puffery: Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment
Award;
Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Calif. James Madison Freedom-of-Information
Award;
founded InfoWorld, Dr.Dobb's Journal, and Computers, Freedom & Privacy
Confs.;
Electronic Frontier Foundation's Pioneer Award (in its first year), blah
blah]

---
Messages to Mario Profaca  may be published at
Mario's Cyberspace Station (http://mprofaca.cro.net/mainmenu.html)
or/and forwarded to its associated Spy News list
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spynews)
Please do indicate if your message is not intended for this.

FYI: This mail sent by Mario Profaca is certified Virus Free.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/47cccB/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/TySplB/TM

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter
 and discussion list associated to
 Mario's Cyberspace Station
 http://mprofaca.cro.net/mainmenu.html
*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
 Section 107, this material is distributed
 without profit to SPYNEWS eGroup members
 who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
 the included information for non-profit research
 and educational purposes only.

 For more information go to:

 (one message a day) send a blank message:
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 To unsubscribe SPYNEWS send a blank message:
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Mario Profaca, independent journalist,
 SPY NEWS eGroup list owner, editor
 & moderator, is a member of of the
 Committee of Concerned Journalists,
 an initiative administered through
 the offices of the Project for
 Excellence in Journalism in Washington, D.C.