The Free Congress Commentary

We've Found God Again!
By E. Ralph Hostetter

These words come from a CBS TV channel, introducing a Hollywood related
program of all things: "And we've found God again."

The statement was part of a prologue listing values such as flying the
American flag, coming together as a nation and a revival of patriotism;
values that were rediscovered following the worst terrorist attack on
American soil in history, leaving more than 5,000 dead at the New York Trade
Towers, the Pentagon in Arlington, VA, and United Flight 93 in a field in
Pennsylvania.

Prayers seemed to be on the lips of most Americans this week. President Bush
prayed and called for a day of prayer; the Cabinet prayed and sang "God
Bless America"; the Congress prayed; the Supreme Court prayed; and the
churches across America held special prayer services.

The prayers for the thousands lost in the carnage came from the lips of
Americans all across the land.

But our school children, probably the most frightened and psychologically
damaged of all our population, were denied the solace and comfort of seeking
help in prayers to their God.

Their prayers were denied by a 1963 Supreme Court decision prohibiting
prayer on public school property.

And yet the President prayed in the (public) White House; the Supreme Court
prayed in the (public) Supreme Court building; the Congress prayed in the
(public) Capitol building.

Denial of prayer in public schools resulted from a decision by the high
court, under Chief Justice Earl Warren, "interpreting" the "establishment
clause" of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The "establishment clause" represents only half of the first clause of the
First Amendment. The term "establishment clause" was coined to give the
impression that the entire clause was all about prohibiting Congress from
establishing a state religion. Not so!

The complete wording of the clause in the U.S. Constitution is: "Congress
shall make no laws respecting an establishment of a religion, or prohibiting
the free exercise thereof."

The liberal Warren Court addressed only the first part of the so-called
"establishment clause."

The case, Murray v. Curlett, involved certain state laws requiring the
recitation of the Lord's Prayer and reading of verses from the Bible. The
U.S. Congress had never made any law that could remotely resemble the
establishing of a religion.

By apparently ignoring the second part of the "establishment clause" - "or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof" - the Warren Court, for all intents
and purposes, "threw the baby out with the bath water" by denying all prayer
in public schools, including voluntary prayers of student bodies.

The term "prohibiting" is a far cry from the "free exercise thereof." The
Warren Court, in its zeal to make law, closed the door on all prayer.

Today the Supreme Court decision of 1963 has grafted onto itself the
prohibitions of Christmas Nativity scenes in public squares as well as the
banning of the Ten Commandments, the basic laws of civilization, in town
halls and courthouses across America.

"Kick God out of America" seemed to be the movement in this country until
8:42 a.m. on September 11, 2001.

A means must be found to have the U.S. Supreme Court revisit the entire
first clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to give meaning
to "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

"And we have found God Again"...This simple quotation may well pave the way
to permit Americans to freely exercise their God-given right - and
constitutional right - to pray whenever, or wherever, they wish.

E. Ralph Hostetter is a member of the board of directors of Free Congress
Foundation

New Online Petition Established!

The Free Congress Foundation's Coalition for Constitutional Liberties has
established a website with an online petition in support of our civil
liberties and constitutional rights. The United States must protect itself
from terrorism, but the liberties and freedoms of the American people must
not fall by the wayside.

The petition can be found at http://www.DefendYourFreedom.org. We encourage
all NNN readers to sign the petition and for media outlets to inform their
listeners, readers, or viewers about the site.

Free Congress strongly supports protecting our constitutional rights and
civil liberties, which is the main object of the petition. It should be
emphasized, however, that Free Congress has consistently opposed the
ratification of international treaties that unduly restrict our nation's
ability to act in our best interest. We will continue to oppose such
treaties in the future. There are cases in which the United States has
bilateral extradition treaties with other countries, which may prove useful
in making sure that those terrorists who  are guilty for the attacks on
September 11th are brought to justice.

For media inquiries, contact Steve Lilienthal [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For other questions or comments, contact Angie Wheeler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit Our Website at <http://www.FreeCongress.org>

This publication is a service of the Free Congress Research and Education
Foundation, Inc. (FCF) and does not necessarily reflect the views of the
Free Congress Foundation nor is it an attempt to aid or hinder the passage
of any bill.
Free Congress Foundation * 717 Second Street, NE * Washington, DC  20002 *
202.546.3000 * Fax: 202.544.2819
Project Manager: Angela Wheeler * Copyright * 2001  Free Congress Foundation
- All Rights Reserved.