-Caveat Lector-

http://nypost.com/commentary/5482.htm

                         LIBERALS' LOONY LOGIC
                         FIZZLES UNDER THE GUN

                         By STEVE DUNLEAVY

                         October 2, 2001 -- It is amazing how liberals, whom I
                         regard as traitors in this time of crisis, like to quote the
                         Constitution.

                         I was talking to Donna Lieberman, the interim executive of
                         the New York Civil Liberties Union, and I wanted to call
                         for a psychiatrist.

                         The First Amendment, freedom of speech, she goes to bed
                         with. It is her Bible, her Koran, her Ten Commandments.

                         She might dislike what the Aryan Nation or the Nazis say
                         about African-Americans, Jews or Catholics, but they have
                         a perfect right to say it, according to her.

                         So I asked her about the Second Amendment, the right to
                         bear arms, as she rudely chomped on something and talked
                         on the telephone.

                         "I will have to get back to you on that, I have spoken to
                         you in the past," she said. In the past, she wasn't so sure
                         about the right to bear arms.

                         "We would be better without that," she said in the past.

                         In other words, she wanted it like a menu: choose one
                         amendment from column A, one from column B.

                         See, what I was asking about was the words of people I
                         have talked to across the country and the explosion of gun
                         sales in defense of other peoples' cowardice.

                         In Manchester, N.H., the state where license plates
                         proclaim, "Live Free or Die," Jim McLoud, owner of the
                         Firing Line Gun store was saying:

                         "Our gun sales since the terrible thing happened have gone
                         up 500 percent.

                         "On the day it [the terror attack] happened, I put out a
                         'closed' sign on the door, but there were too many people
                         banging on the door.

                         "I don't like to make money this way, and the people who
                         were asking for guns, many of them were real liberals, who
                         said something like maybe we are the sheep who got bitten
                         on the a- - by a wolf."

                         But in New York, things were different.

                         Darren Leung, co-owner of the West Side Pistol and Rifle
                         Range told me: "We are getting 300 to 400 calls a day
                         asking how they can buy a gun and get licensed.

                         "We have to tell them that it takes from six to eight months
                         in New York to get licensed. They get a little angry about
                         it, but it is the law in New York. It is sort of forgotten
                         about.

                         "Target practice is up enormously here. Maybe it is
                         psychological. But people are feeling vulnerable. Yes,
                         maybe it is psychological."

                         Wayne La Pierre, the main spokesman for the National
                         Rifle Association, said:

                         "Psychological? No, it is normal when people are
                         confronted with a threat."

                         But a handgun won't do anything against a flying bomb or a
                         biochemical attack.

                         "Quite right. But if there is a breakdown in communication
                         in the face of a disaster, whatever an attack is and where,
                         which we hope doesn't happen, remember the L.A. riots or
                         the L.A. earthquake, there were clear signals," he said.

                         "One could be two to three days without contact with any
                         kind of law enforcement. In that case, I would rather be
                         with a firearm than without one."

                         I was in the looting drama of 1977 after the big blackout
                         caused by overloading and Con Edison incompetence.

                         I lived through it, but I would have felt better with a gun.

                         And according to national statistics, from state to state with
                         varying numbers, gun sales are up by 30 percent.

                         That is, with the exception of New York.

                         A person who answered the telephone at the office of John
                         Jovino, owner of a very legitimate firing range not too far
                         from the World Trade Center, told me: "What is the use?
                         We really can't sell guns under the present law."

                         Back to that nincompoop, Donna Lieberman of the New
                         York Civil Liberties Union: "I will have to give this some
                         thought. But I will get back to you."

                         The telephone was as silent as the restless souls under the
                         rubble.

                         Love those liberals, pal.