On Wed, 22 Mar 2023, Stefan Eissing wrote:

Delaying the opening of the feature window after a release seems to be a good balance. Right now, I have several PRs pending for the re-opening of the window and it does not cost anything to have them wait a week more. Feature branches already exist. Maintenance branches we'd like to avoid.

So, how about this for adjusted release cycle and release management:

 - Increase the post-release ("cool down") margin before we open the feature
   window. We currently have it 5 days, we could double it to 10 days. That
   would then reduce the feature window with the same amount of days leaving
   us with 18 days to merge features.

 - Within the cool down period, we are only allowed to merge bug-fixes.

 - Lower the bar for a patch-release. Even "less important" regressions should
   be considered reason enough to do follow-up releases. And if they are not
   reported within the cool down period, chances are they are not important
   enough.

 - After a follow-up release, we start over with a new cool down period of 10
   days.

 - If we decide to do a patch release due to a regression, we set that release
   day N days into the future so that we can accumulate a few more fixes and
   get our ducks in order before we ship it. N is probably at least 7.

--

 / daniel.haxx.se