Hi,

This is, unfortunately, a known issue with Python on Windows. On Linux
the default encoding is utf-8 and I can use all sorts of non-ascii
characters without any problems. Doing the same on Windows results in
problems with encoding issues and a resulting failure to import the
zipimport module as you have discovered. Using the builtin Windows
routines to convert strings results in truncation thanks to the
console encoding or something equivalent -- my knowledge of these
things is limited but I have seen other complaints about such things
in the Python bugs list so I believe this is an inherent problem at
the moment. Perhaps this will be resolved in Python 3.2 if it is a
Python problem. If it is a Windows problem, no idea when that will be
resolved.... :-)

Anthony