Title: Meditation: Monday, March 24, 2003

The Catholic Calendar for Monday, March 24, 2003
    The Third Week of Lent

Scripture from today's Liturgy of the Word:
    2 Kings 5:1-15
    Psalm 42:2-3;43:3-4
    Luke 4:24-30

A reflection on today's Sacred Scripture:

In today's gospel Jesus refers to the story of Naaman, a metaphor
explained in great detail in today's first reading from the Second
Book of Kings. At first, Naaman was insulted when asked to wash in
Israel's Jordan River. Yet Naaman, a gentile, was cured while many
lepers in Israel remained uncured.

Jesus revealed himself as Messiah and Savior, not only for the Jews,
but also for the gentiles and for all humanity. We know this, but the
Jews didn't accept that. Instead, in their pride, they were angered
and smarted at Jesus' reminder of the story of Naaman.

It is important for us to remember that Jesus came to make eternal
life possible for everyone. From these scriptures, we should be
encouraged to be obedient to God's voice, to do good when faced with
the possibility of doing the selfish alternative: to commit a sin.

Let us draw from the faith, the power and the salvation that God has
brought us -- to transform our hearts now and always.

              If today you hear his voice,
                   harden not your hearts.
(Ps. 95:8)

- Joachim, ocds

YOU CAN HELP to evangelize the Word of God:
Please recommend our website to your friends and Catholic webmasters at:
http://www.borg.com/~joachim/DailyMeds.html (case sensitive)

BLOG? The meditations are also available at our new blog at:
http://dailymeds.blogspot.com

ARCHIVED Meditations: http://www.abcsoffaith.com/quiet/quietplace.html
also at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
and: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/

FOR ALL COMMUNICATIONS including subscribe/unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The FINE PRINT:
(c)1986-2003 The Way, The Truth, The Life. Permission granted to make
reprints of the meditations or to post on any web page, except for profit.
Scripture texts in this work are taken from the New American Bible with
Revised New Testament and Revised Psalms (c)1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity
of Christian Doctrine, Washington, D.C. and are used by permission of the
copy-right owner. All Rights Reserved. No part of the New American Bible may
be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the copyright
owner.Text from the New American Bible: http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/index.htm
Lives of the Saints: http://www.christdesert.org/public_texts/martyrology/