hi Aashir,

This is an interesting work, thanks for sharing... From what I gather,
population projection data at districts is not available publicly. I
discovered two datasets for projecting populations at state-level recently:

1) UIDAI <https://uidai.gov.in/images/state-wise-aadhaar-saturation.pdf>
 (PDF)
  - estimates as of 31 dec, 2020
2) NHM
<https://nhm.gov.in/New_Updates_2018/Report_Population_Projection_2019.pdf>
(big PDF)
  - estimates as of 1 mar, 2021
  - more granular estimates by category (age, gender)

I'm not an expert in this area, interested to learn. A friend suggested
estimating population from raster images shared by the likes of WorldPop
<https://www.worldpop.org/project/categories?id=3> (another source
<https://data.humdata.org/dataset/pakistan-india_all-files-high-resolution-population-density-maps>
).

*Step 1 - estimate population*
I've used QGIS (raster zonal stats) to estimate population
<https://gis.stackexchange.com/a/287535>. Tutorial
<https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/287532/calculating-population-size-from-raster-layer-using-qgis>
for step-by-step guide. The files I used are from WorldPop, India districts
shapefile and use sum instead of average metric in zonal stats.

After this step, we'll have a population estimate at district level.

*Step 2 - compare against baseline*
2.1 Aggregate the population numbers at state-level.
2.2 Use state estimates from UIDAI or NHM as a baseline.
2.3 Determine the relative change rate (raster estimated population divided
by state estimate from UIDAI or NHM).
2.4 Use this rate and divide the district estimate (at the end of step 1)
by it.

I've done this for states and shared the results here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11R2o6Fknvcitbm-zw2SmI34UugsfQm9qJXZUTAKNiUo/edit#gid=36012365>.
For most states (with multiple districts) the approach seems to work well
but *fails* for smaller regions.

If anyone else has done this earlier do share feedback on improving this
approach or suggest alternative ways.

Thanks,
Bhanu