Hi David,

This is in response to your second question about the projection the shapes
are in.
This might help to find out: http://projfinder.com/
Have to start with identifying a spot in the shapefile that you can
recognise and locate on a real map. Center the map in the website there,
and key in the co-ords for that spot in the shapefile. The website then
gives you a listing of most likely projections.

We used that tool here:
https://github.com/draftmpd41/layers_draft_delhi_master_plan_2041

--
Cheers,