In some email I received from "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> on 02
Jul 2003
10:38:11 -0400, wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 07:33, lou wrote:
> > Magnus,
> > all this sounds great, that means the codebase will create a barrier
> > between
> > both APIs also a gap which will limit the whole idea for one generic API,
> > which would save time and resources writing more code and more code and
> > more code..
>
> Don't we already have two code bases?
Yes, there are two:
1) MySQL
2) PgSQL

But loads of the stuff in there are so similar that a 3d generic API which
wraps/combines
both MySQL/PgSQL codebase

> I mean, all the IMAP commands are
> implemented separately depending on which DB is choosen at compile
> time.

I didnt mean IMAP only and specifically but in general about MySQL and PgSQL
APIs.

> I don't see the difference between this, and choosing to embed
> the commands in the server via triggers and other server side stored
> procedures.
there's a difference and I pointed it out, somewhere back..

>I would think we could / would still have two separate
> files for implementing database commands, the mysql one would be much
> larger than the pgsql most of the code was moved to the database
> creation script.  I think using stored procedures on the server are an
> advantage in many ways.

Nobody disagrees that SP and func and trig are not an advantage but it's not
good
to do the same job twice for 2 different databases, i'm talking about huge
chunks of code
reuse and so.

cheers