Jonathan Hettwer <j24...@gmail.com> writes:

> Package: partman-crypto
> Version: 121
> Severity: normal
> Tags: d-i
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> The `crypto_check_mountpoints` script prevents you from setting up an
> encrypted root filesystem without an additional unencrypted /boot
> filesystem.
> While this may be a requirement for e.g. grub2, it is not
> necessarily required when not using grub2 but using UKIs to build EFI
> executables that can directly mount the encrypted root filesystem.
> While UKIs aren't currently supported, I would still expect partman-crypto
> to let me partition an encrypted root filesystem without separate /boot
> filesystem, at least after having ignored the warnings or in combination
> with the `nobootloader` udeb.

Quick note: systemd-boot works with kernel images + initramfs, without
UKI.  After the systemd-boot menu, the user is prompted for the master
LUKS password, as usual, and I use the derived key script to then
unlocks a couple LUKS volumes.  No LVM, no /boot.  It seems to work
well, but yeah, it's not possible to do this with fresh install (I
manually migrated an old installation to new hardware).

Regards,
Nicholas