Package: kmod-udeb,busybox-udeb
Severity: serious
Justification: file conflict

Hi Cyril,

On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 04:31:44AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> d-i daily builds now FTBFS everywhere due to the merge-usr step, with
> the following error:
>
>     merge-usr "./tmp/cdrom/tree"
>     error: merge target 'usr//sbin/depmod' is a symlink
>
> It would be nice if you could investigate and suggest what fix(es) would
> be best here. I suppose it could be some fallout from the kmod upload
> which included some changes of yours, hence the ping.
>

> https://tracker.debian.org/news/1491892/accepted-kmod-31-1-source-into-unstable/

Thank you for the report. In investigating it, I note that reproducing
the failure was unexpectedly difficult. debian-installer fails to build
from source in unstable for unrelated reasons. I request that you update
the package more frequently and keep it in a buildable state to ease QA
efforts of others.

It turns out that /sbin/depmod points to /bin/busybox and
/usr/sbin/depmod points to ../bin/kmod. As such, merge-usr does not have
a good idea of what to do and rightly refuses to continue. These two
files are to be considered a file conflict according to the Debian
policy as they only differ in aliasing. I argue that this was a bug
before merged-/usr and merged-/usr just makes it visible now. The
underlying conflict has existed earlier and was resolved arbitrarily
dependent on the order of unpacks.

The real solution here is to agree on whether busybox-udeb or kmod-udeb
is supposed to provide depmod and only ship it once. Since there is no
other consumer of udebs, it does not make sense to install it in both.

Cyril, please reassign the bug to the right package (i.e. the one that
should not be providing depmod).

I also recommend to establish QA for all udebs to automatically detect,
report and address such conflicts as they evidently cause undefined
behaviour otherwise. That can be as simple as collecting file lists of
all udebs and comparing them.

Helmut