On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 07:02:43AM -0500, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> > Jeff, unless I'm mistaken you've taken over maintainence of the debian
> > packaging of quakeforge and you have fairly current packaging in the
> > quakeforge-current tree in their cvs. I remember that when knghtbrd
> > decided to remove quakeforge packages from debian, it was because of
> > technical problems with the state of the quakeforge codebase, and, it
> > seemed to me, because of political type problems as well.
>
> Yeah, I'm doing the Debian stuff, at least within QuakeForge.

The stuff outside I have done.  Back in March or so I designed a nice,
complex, and complete system for handling gamedata.  It would work as long
as an engine using it had fs_* Cvars and config files.  Unless of course
you did something unexpected in your config file, in which case it puked.
Too fancy, and it broke.

Since most engines don't have all that, I've just written /etc/quake.conf
which gets sourced into a shell script.  Contains GAMENAME and SHAREDIR.
My wrapper script also assumes BASEDIR exists, though for obvious reasons
it's kinda a bad idea for either file to contain that.  Twilight and QF
would just +set the appropriate fs_thing.  Another engine such as
DarkPlaces or something similar would use -sharedir, -basedir, and
-gamename.  As I said before, this requires a five-minute patch job.

As for putting the mess in main, someone commented recently that
OpenQuartz was almost usable now and has gone through the effort to make
sure they've actually got license to use everything they're using.  I
still wonder about that, so I'll take a look for myself before trying to
package it, but if it actually is worth packaging it'd put the engines in
main.

I can actually do the necessary work to get the shareware thing done next
weekend (I'm going on holiday for a few days and won't have much time for
code..)  As for the registered game installer, I've got something written
in perl for that already, but it's not much and it comes with a big
warning that perl is not a language I actually grok.

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Certified free software nut

<dark> "Hey, I'm from this project called Debian... have you heard of it?
       Your name seems to be on a bunch of our stuff."