On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:08:53PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:26:48PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > So the FDL is a free license because it's inconvenient for it to
> > > be not?
> >
> > No, they're saying that a vast majority of programs which are widely
> > considered free by our community are using this license.  Thus, the
> > onus is on you to put forth a real argument for why it's not free.
>
> Um, it fails section 3 (Modifications permitted) of the DFSG? A
> strictly literal reading of the DFSG clearly prohibits Invariant
> Sections. Any body claiming that the FDL (with Invariant Sections) is
> free is basically proposing a change in the DFSG, or at least the
> readings or scope thereof. I'd say the onus is on the people who want
> to change the status quo.

you're not allowed to change the license or the author's name of a
GPL-licensed program so, by your "strictly literal reading of the DFSG"
that makes the GPL non-free.

The GPL, BSD license and other licenses we consider to be DFSG-free all
allow "invariant sections" - specifically, attribution, copyright,
license, and similar administrivia.

even where this isn't specifically stated in the license, tradition &
custom within the free software community take it as a given that these
things are not to be changed....but acknowledging that requires the
application of common sense, which just proves that you're not playing
the debian game.

personally, i think that many debian people just like to argue
pedantically for the sake of arguing pedantically.  doesn't matter what
the issue is, the main thing is that a good (i.e. long-winded and
tedious) argument is had until everyone is bored into apathy.

this practice is, of course, a wonderful morale booster.  hip hip hooray.

craig

--
craig sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.