On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:31:35AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:30:54PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > Do you really think it's a waste of
> > > bandwidth and processing power to let the vmware users discuss a
> > > problem caused by a change in _Debian_?
> > First of all this isn't a Debian-specific change but a change in
> > glibc. Second vmware isn't Debian. Third Debian goes about free
> > software, vmware isn't.
>
> Fourth, we support the use of non-free software, and we provide
> infrastructure (such as our mailing lists) for non-free software packages.

Vmware isn't even in Debian. This is truely a problem of vmware
itself. IMHO this isn't something for debian-devel. Or do you want to
make debian-devel a list where all Debian users can come with their
problems running buggy non-free software?

> If you don't agree with Debian's social contract, perhaps you should be
> part of a project that's more philosophically acceptable to you.

I agreed with the social contract, but I think it should be
changed. Some parts are just wrong, other things are confusing.

To talk about the social contract, our priorities are free software
and our users. Somebody is having problems with non-free
software. What is wrong with telling him that the kind of problems
he's having is normal with non-free software and say that there are 2
free alternatives in Debian which would probably not have those
problems?

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]