On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 12:10:07PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> * Other proposed solutions are technically inferior, mostly
>   because they are more complex.

The other aspect is that /var's the place for stuff that varies during
normal use; introducing some other place for the same thing is redundant
and thus more complex.

> The answer, I take it, is that the handful of programs, H, that
> would use R can then use /var/run instead.

/var/run has always been the right place in the namespace; it's just
not been usable for technical reasons. If we fix the technical reasons,
all is good.

> The burden on H's
> maintainers of knowing that their programs face special storage
> problems is shifted onto the sysvinit maintainers and admins who
> have to ensure that writable space is shoved under /var/run by
> the time any of the H tries to write there.

Yup. Just as the burden of ensuring /usr is available is placed on
sysvinit maintainers and admins.

Cheers,
aj