On Tuesday 20 December 2005 22:22, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> For me, it's a clear win: at least I can edit files.  I'm
> probably a fairly typical vim user.

I have to agree with that.
I have used the standard vi for quite some time but always got into
problems by pressing cursor keys which resulted in being dropped out of
edit mode and a letter changing to uppercase for weird reasons.

Ever since discovering vim, I have no more problems (well, except for
occasionally pressing q instead of :q and ending up in macro mode or
something). So now it's one of the first things I install on a new
system.

IMO vim is a lot more intuitive for users who are not old-hat Linux/Unix.