On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Yeah, great idea! Let's start Debian subdistros for every specific use
> one can think of. This whole "universal operating system" idea is so
> old. What about gebian, kebian, xebian?

 Would it be wrong to ship different flavors of the Debian CDs based on
 various upstream software?  Debian has tons of text editors, window
 managers, web browsers, desktop environments; the Debian archive is
 universally useful, but I'm sure there's interest in tailored Debian
 CDs/DVDs for various use cases.

> Seriously, it would be more interesting to determine what would need to
> be changed in Debian to improve support for such devices. AFAIK (and
> according to [1]), Ubuntu's lpia "port" is only about compiling packages
> using different optimization options.
>
> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/247003/

 Actually, some configure flags, features, options etc. are enabled /
 tuned differently if the dpkg architecture equals lpia -- not terribly
 nice though.  For instance, "cheese" is built with --enable-hildon on
 lpia and only there.  A nicer way to handle this is to build packages
 twice, see for instance "dates" versus "dates-hildon".  This isn't very
 practical though.  Ideally, packages would provide their UI as runtime
 plugins split across separate binary packages, but we're far from a
 perfect world here.

--
Loïc Minier