> Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo dijo [Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 01:27:02AM +0100]:
>> To both things above, I don't think that this is different to my example of
>> 'configure' script without corresponding .ac/.in; and I don't think that
>> anybody
>> is thinking about adding lintian errors for that or considering those scripts
>> non-free (??).
>
> Just FWIW, I didn't reply to this point because it's been many years
> since I last packaged a project using configure scripts (I just work
> with languages I am comfortable with, and C is not one of them). As
> others have pointed, shipping configure without compiling it from the
> .ac/.in is bad and should be seen as a warning, if not directly as a
> true bug.

Precisely, this is the core of a recent/ongoing thread, about using
dh-autoreconf or something similar to do this automatically for
thousands of packages (because it is very annoying for new ports, if
nothing else, and of which I am very much in favour).

Nobody in the thread tried to apply the same logic with configure
script compared to minified .js.  The case of configure script is even
worse, in my opinion, because it is actually used to compile the
binary (unlike minified .js, which in virtually all cases is only
shipped to be used for documentation).  And it is at least as
difficult to check if a configure script actually came from that
source as to check if minified js came from another .js.

In that situation, nobody proposed that we should strip ./configure
from the source packages just because we don't know if it was
generated from the accompanying .in/.ac sources of that script (if
present there at all), or because any other consideration.

People attempt to deal with that sitation acknowledging the problem
and by using automatic tools to regenerate it at build time, before
starting the build.  Nobody is proposing repackaging orig.tar to
remove the "source-is-missing" configure script, and nobody argued
that this would improve user freedom or benefit our users in any way.

As I said, we dealt with the situation of minified jquery in sdlgfx by
depending on libjquery-whatever and using dh_link, so the binary
packages use the "canonical" version of Debian (with other obvious
benefits apart from freedomness/preferred form of modification, like
no duplication); which is somewhat equivalent to the result of using
dh-autoreconf for configure scripts.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montez...@gmail.com>