[Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo]
> If you agree that "source-is-missing" also applies in those cases, do
> you also think that we should immediately declare all source packages
> in Debian containing a 'configure' script as somehow non free (unless
> we can check unambigously that they were generated by the .ac)

There's 2 reasons to care if configure was built from the configure.ac
in the tarball.  The immediately practical reason is to ensure that if
we or our users need to patch it, we can patch the actual source, and
still be able to build correctly.  (These things do tend to bitrot if
you don't watch them.)  Basically that means always rebuilding from
source - which is already a best practice in Debian.  Not every package
does it, but IMO every package _should_.

The other reason to care is of course to comply with our free software
guidelines.  For that purpose, I think it's entirely reasonable to
assume good faith in upstream.  If we find out that some upstream
intentionally tricks us by shipping a mismatching configure, just so
they can point and laugh at the DFSG violation, the solution is very
simple: remove the package from Debian, because such upstreams clearly
can't be trusted not to trick us in more malicious ways.