Hi,

Cameron Norman:
> I understand just fine how it is packaged. It is packaged in a way that
> pushes components down other's throats and tells users to simply disable
> them if they are not necessary.

So? The standard case is that they're either not really optional,
or they passively sit around, consuming disk space and perhaps an open
socket but no other resources.

In the first case, you can create a package that disables logind / replaces
sytemd-nspawn with a link to /bin/false very easily. This will take MUCH
less work than it'd take to split up systemd even more, add a bunch of
redundant dependencies to whatever, and fix the inevitable bugs that'll be
introduced by this.

The second case is a no-brainer. Many packages in Debian consist of more
than one binary, of which you need at most one (if that). Do you really
want to mass-file a bug against all of these _and_ the packages depending
on them, or are you picking on systemd for non-technical reasons here?

Sorry, but I suspect the latter.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs