Op woensdag 7 mei 2014 12:59:57 schreef Jonas Smedegaard:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> Quoting Wouter Verhelst (2014-05-07 11:34:23)
>
> > What you seem to want is a unified and standardized way for one
> > package to provide an API for changing things about how the package
> > will function, to other packages.
>
> Correct.
>
> > While a worthwhile effort, I don't think this is what debconf (in its
> > current state, at least) can do.
>
> I still believe debconf us possible to use for this - in its current
> form but with aid of additional logic (which possibly fits your view).

I'm afraid not.

You *could* have a script do db_set <something> to change the defaults
and then run the postinst script (through dpkg-reconfigure), but that
would run against the spirit of 10.7.4 IMO.

> > After all, the problem with reconfiguring another package in the way
> > you seem to suggest is that if it were to be effective for what you
> > want to see realized, it would run afoul of the requirement in Policy
> > 10.7.4 that
> >
> >      The maintainer scripts must not alter a `conffile' of _any_ package,
> >      including the one the scripts belong to.
> >
> > (at least in spirit)
>
> That text talks about _conffiles_ specifically,

Hence the "in spirit"

> and one way to avoid
> that specific rule is using... debconf!

Yes, but only for users configuring things, or by way of "shared debconf
templates".

> > That same section 10.7.4 also explains how packages who wish to
change
> > configuration files of other packages should work, currently: there
> > should be an interface provided by the package through which other
> > packages can then change the relevant configuration.
>
> Where debconf is one such interface provided by the package.

_Only_ if you use shared debconf templates.

Doing that is fairly complicated, and _requires_ support from every
package involved. The only instance where this is being used that I know
of, is the "choice of display manager" set of templates.

> I believe the spirit of ยง10.7.4 is to ensure that any configuration of a
> package not done explicitly by the user is done through the package
> itself.
>
> One reason for that is to ensure that there is one well-defined place to
> report any bugs: the package!

Yes, clearly.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26