On May 12, 2014, at 07:57 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:

>For mailing lists, I read in the thread that it may not be a problem anyway,
>but I just wanted to add one thing: in many cases the lists to be created are
>a maintainer list and a commit list, and this could be replaced completely by
>the “new PTS” (see http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep2/ and
>http://pts.debian.net/).  People who have time to give but do not have the
>right skill set to work on Alioth or Mailman may consider helping the new PTS
>instead.

I don't have time to work on Alioth, but JFTR, we (the GNU Mailman development
team) recently announced the first full-suite beta release for Mailman 3.
It's possible that even with the usual beta-quality issues, that MM3 would
make a decent mailing list framework for this Debian use case.  It has some
interesting features that might make integration easier, and I would be highly
motivated to help others adapt and extend MM3 for Debian's use.

Contact me personally off-list or via IRC, or start the discussion on the
mailman-develop...@python.org list.

Cheers,
-Barry