Norbert Preining <prein...@logic.at> writes:

> This can happen on *any* server that has been booting happily since many
> many years. Thus, systemd is *not* a drop-in replacement for now.

We should be realistic about this: it's not going to be, either, at least
for a definition of drop-in replacement that involves no changes in
behavior.

Completely identical behavior is a very high bar that hasn't been met by
any other transition of this type that we've made in the past.
Dependency-based boot, the change to /bin/sh, and UUID-based mounting were
all not drop-in replacements by that criteria.  We *are* going to uncover
latent bugs in packages, in system configurations, and in other things,
and in some cases there will just be differences, which are not obviously
bugs anywhere.  We should do what we can to diagnose and fix or warn about
those, but we also shouldn't be surprised that they exist (and should let
users know via at least the release notes that this is a fairly
significant change to the boot process).

In this case, maybe we can add some transitional smarts to the same
package that takes responsibility for upgrade prompting.  What comes to
mind is scanning /etc/fstab and look for filesystems that aren't set
noauto or nofail but that aren't mounted and warn the user with debconf
that behavior may change.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>