On 11/16/2014 at 05:11 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:02:12AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I would, for example, have classified the discussions / arguments
>> in the "systemd-sysv | systemd-shim" bug which appears to have
>> recently been resolved by TC decision as being an example of what I
>> thought was being referred to by the original "bitter rearguard
>> action" reference: fighting over the implementation details in an
>> attempt to maintain as much ground for non-systemd as possible.
>
> I was really confused that this needed to go to the TC; from what I
> could tell, it had no downside systems using systemd, and it made
> things better on non-systemd systems.  What was the downside of
> making the change, and why did it have to go to the TC instead of
> the maintainer simply accepting the patch?

My understanding (based on having read the early stages of the
two-or-three bugs on that subject) is that it has to do with the fact
that that there were at the time or recently had been bugs against
systemd-shim and/or its dependencies such that systemd-shim would
provide degraded functionality compared with systemd-sysv.

On that basis, I believe the maintainer's opinion was that it would
better serve the users to preferentially install the dependency which we
*know* will work (at least to a baseline), unless a request has been
made to do otherwise.

If that isn't correct, or if there was more to it than that, I'd be
interested to be corrected on that subject myself.

--
   The Wanderer