On 17 November 2014 18:15, Thomas Goirand <z...@debian.org> wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 10:41 PM, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> To be a reasonable sysvinit replacement
>> systemd and upstart must output messages to consoles(s) to which
>> sysvinit did output messages, even on systems with multiple consoles
>> (eg. serial, vga, kms).
>
> Not really... Or at least, not until last summer when I uploaded a
> patched version of bootlogd to Sid. To this date, sysv-rc can't log to
> multiple consoles, unless the release team agrees that I fix Wheezy (see
> the release.debian.org corresponding bug: #767202).

Hello,

I just tried in qemu after bootstrapping a fresh system in /tmp/zero.

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /tmp/zero -serial stdio -append
"root=UUID=f1e068b6-253f-4b8d-9a8c-9df9b671787f ro console=tty0
console=ttyS0,115200n8" -kernel /tmp/vmlinuz -initrd /tmp/initrd

Indeed, both consoles are used to some extent with systemd. However,
the serial console is way more verbose in this configuration. For one,
I did not notice any disk check messages on the VGA console hence the
black screen on system which has disks of non-trivial size. With
current sysvinit the serial console is also used as main but
sysvinit-core does not produce any messages on tty0 whatsoever and so
does not mislead the user into thinking that useful boot progress
feedback can be obtained on that terminal. systemd on the other hand
prints selected messages on both terminals but most messages go only
to the main serial terminal.
For completeness I tried upstart and it produces two error messages on
both terminals and 6 progress messages on serial terminal never giving
a login prompt on either. This is unexpected as it used to work on
wheezy.

Thanks

Michal