Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 11:18 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The much simpler systemd-timesyncd doesn't set the hardware clock for
>> reasons that one may or may not agree with (I honestly haven't
>> researched it in any depth),

> It looks like it does iff the RTC is set to UTC:

>         /*
>          * An unset STA_UNSYNC will enable the kernel's 11-minute mode,
>          * which syncs the system time periodically to the RTC.
>          *
>          * In case the RTC runs in local time, never touch the RTC,
>          * we have no way to properly handle daylight saving changes and
>          * mobile devices moving between time zones.
>          */
>         if (m->rtc_local_time)
>                 tmx.status |= STA_UNSYNC;

Oh!  Okay, then yes, it shouldn't matter whether it persists at shutdown
or not, since it will be setting it periodically anyway.

>> but you can just run ntpd instead if you care.

> But ntpd is also known to have a large amount of code written without
> as much regard for security as one would hope.  It seems like an
> unnecessary risk for most systems.

Indeed, I've personally switched to systemd-timesyncd on my systems, which
works fine for me.  (I think there are other lightweight clients if people
want something different.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>