On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 01:38:10PM +0100, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2017-12-30 13:02, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> > There are some cases when using sysvinit is preferred over systemd.
> > AFAIK there is no way drop some capabilities with systemd geared linux
> > containers while it is possible with sysvinit.

> Unfortunately, on some embedded and/or mobile systems, one has
> to stick to an old Linux kernel, even when using the latest user
> space. Systemd needs at least Linux 3.13.

And in what context would you find yourself trying to run a Debian init
system in such an environment?  oldstable has a 3.16 kernel; oldoldstable
has 3.2, but that means it will be oldoldoldstable when buster is released.
Do you actually expect any guarantees that the buster userspace will be
compatible with a kernel of release-3 vintage?

If so, I think you have an uphill battle to codify such an expectation in
the release-critical bug guidelines.

If not, I think you will find other userspace incompatibilities creeping in.
In particular, I expect glibc's minimum kernel compatibility level to
continue to ratchet up.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org