On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 11:15:36AM -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
Sure.  But that requires the admin to build a package and deal with
version number issues related to that package.  E.g. A Depends: B, then
later, A Depends: B and A Breaks: B < someversion.  The admin simply
wants to not install B and not have to worry about it.

equivs used in this way is simply a much less convenient workaround to
an incorrect dependency.

Those are effectively UI/UX issues in the equivs package. The current
two-step approach, involving authoring or editing a template file, is
an unnecessary burden.

I've had "rewrite equivs" on my TODO list for so long, with a command
"equivs" which takes one mandatory argument, the package name you want an
equivalent for, and does all the rest (optional argument to vary the
version from matching what would be the installation candidate version
as default). I should get on and do it.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland