On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 02:19:56PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
Doing this check in reproducible-builds definitely helps allievate my
concerns as a backstop, but this is still fragile and we don't have a
tight test/fix cycle.  And, in general, I'm dubious of a path where we
support building a package on both merged and unmerged systems and then
allow running it on both merged and unmerged systems.  There are so many
places that binary paths creep into software build processes, and so many
different upstream software build processes to analyze.

I'm likewise generally dubious of a process where we try to merge two directories into one directory during a system upgrade as a side effect of installing a package. I've just seen too many strange things on real systems. If not supporting legacy installs isn't an option, we never should have started this.