On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 02:10:13PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 07:36:30PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Theodore Ts'o, le lun. 08 juil. 2019 13:25:32 -0400, a ecrit:
> > > How important is noudeb, and why is defined in the first place?
> >
> > My usage of noudeb is mostly to avoid the two-times-longer build time
>
> It used to be that I built e2fsprogs twice; once for udebs, and once
> for the "normal" build.  I'm planning on ripping that out as being
> complexity that seems incredibly painful to convert to using dh, and
> the cost seems to be growing the installed size of e2fsprogs-udeb by
> 145k (or roughly 15%).

Per my other reply, you may find that it isn't that painful after all
once you find the right approach.  For instance, while a separate udeb
build pass does make
https://salsa.debian.org/ssh-team/openssh/blob/master/debian/rules a
little bit more complicated, I wouldn't say it's something I find myself
having to think about very often.

> P.S.  If anyone thinks that increasing the size of the debian
> installer by 145k is unacceptable, please let me know now....

This is something you'd need to run past debian-boot@, as there may well
be particular images for which it still matters (I haven't kept up, but
it's certainly something they'd want to be informed of).

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@debian.org]