Adam Borowski writes ("Re: Building GTK programs without installing
systemd-sysv?"):
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 01:47:47PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > You want dbus-x11 instead of dbus-user-session then, I think.
>
> For this and related issues, I wonder if it would be better to replace the
> virtual package pair of {default-,}dbus-session-bus with a real dummy
> package that has:
> Depends: dbus-x11 | systemd-sysv, dbus-user-session | dbus-x11
>
> This would pull in dbus-user-session for systemd users, dbus-x11 for any
> other init.
>
> (The idea might be bogus -- I haven't slept since Monday morning; anyone up
> for beersigning near Frankfurt airport until late evening?)

I didn't see any response to this and I don't immediately see why it
would be a bad idea.

Obviously it's slightly a bodge but these kind of issues involving
dbus-user-session seem common enough that it would probably be worth
doing this as a workaround, if it would be effective.  (Which it seems
like it probably would be.)

Adam, have you tested this (on both systemd and sysvinit systems) ?

Thanks,
Ian.

(at the Worldcon in Dublin so not got the bandwidth to check this
myself.)

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.