On 11.11.19 16:10, Norbert Preining wrote:
Hi Ondřej,

(please Cc, I am not subscribed to debian-devel)

thanks for your work on the Python2 removal.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019, Ondřej Nový wrote:
We are going to raise the severity of the py2removal bugs to "serious"
in several steps.  In the

Could you please give a time line of how you are planning to proceed?
The next Debian release is still about 1.5 years away (extrapolating
from the last N releases), so I don't see any extreme urgency to purge
Debian from Py2 packages *now* at a time when it is even still
supported?

sure, and when everybody is doing that, we end up with Python2 in bullseye+2 as well. Python3 is around for 10+ years now...

Do you have any timeline? Plans beside "...we are going to raise
...remove..."?

I would strongly suggest to wait till january at least to start this process,
upstream authors might wait till the last moment ...

Furthermore,

We will also then file bug reports against ftp.debian.org to remove
such packages from unstable.  We are going to do this semi-

I think requesting the removal of packages that you are **not**
maintaining is - to be polite - a bit unconventional (at least).
This remains at the discretion of the maintainer as far as I remember.

As an example for texlive-base, we filed https://bugs.debian.org/938655 two months ago which didn't see a reply yet. This issue gives you three options, so no we are not requesting the removal.

All dependency fields in debian/control and debian/tests/control must
also be updated to stop using the unversioned python

Are all you "must" statements "policy decisions"? Or your personal wish
list items?

yes, that is covered in #943666, and will be uploaded soonish.

Please don't get me wrong, things like the Python2 removal are going to be painful, we have to start it.

Matthias