On 15949 March 1977, Thomas Goirand wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand everything here. If we aren't going to
have new components like main/contrib/non-free, how will it work? We
main contain a new Packages.{gz,xz} file containing these? I'm guessing
that it's not just a modification to that file, because you wrote the
goal is to diminish its size...

From my original mail:

The current proposal is to reduce the main Packages.xz files size by
splitting[4] out all of the packages that are not intended for users,
writing those into an own file.

The *exact* implementation is currently fluid, a Packages-buildlibs.xz and a kind of subcomponent-style for main both seem options.

--
bye, Joerg