On 22.08.21 00:11, Guillem Jover wrote:

I'm personally just not seeing such consensus, despite the attempts of
some to make it pass as so. My perception is that this topic has become
such a black hole of despair, that people that take issue with it, are
simply stepping away.

Possibly. But for me as one datapoint of N the amount and level of tricky technical detail is way beyond me, so I am standing on the sideline and watching the discussion and leaving the arguments to the experts. And I do not really care which solution will be chosen. I hope it will be one that doesn't break my system(s) too hard so I'll be able to ask a search engine and follow the hints and instructions.

Wrt not caring much about which solution will be chosen: Debian has now passed through transitions where people were extremely (emotionally) involved. I wasn't consistently on the winning side: my preference would have been to keep it simple and to be able to fire up `vim` to debug some aspect of the boot system or services failing to start, but here we are, we've got systemd instead. So I had to adapt, to learn new stuff and the world did not end in fact I am OK with it.

Could be that I am that single one DD with this perspective, or maybe not.

In the end I think Debian is a do-o-cracy: we can decide whatever we want via TC or GR but unless there's someone willing to do the work all decisions won't matter. So it is my hope - in fact my conviction - that whoever does the work for the merged /usr will find a solution that won't trash my system(s) too badly and I'll find a way to fix'em. And if the scratch will itch too badly I might eventually even file a patch that will give others relief as well.

From this same perspective:

Exhausted,
Guillem

seeing you exhausted is sad. You do ****not**** need to carry the weight of this problem, of dpkg or of Debian. I believe Debian *will* find a way. Some way. Debian *does* have many capable and interested people. *Do* take care of yourself. Do make sure that working on dpkg is still enjoyable for you or whatever your motivation is. There's strictly no need you burning yourself out on this. You *can* take a step back an deinvest *yourself* from this. It is a technical and maybe a social problem but it is *not* *your* problem unless you let it be so.

Huge respect and thanks for all your work this far!
*t