On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 03:30:55PM +0300, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
> > > Before any discussion takes place, I would like to point out a previous
> > > attempt of Fedora trying to get rid of NIS/NIS+ back in 2021. Please
> > > check out
> > > the LWN article at https://lwn.net/Articles/874174/ , which would
> > > definitely
> > > be helpful for the condition in Debian.

> > That discussion seems to be about removing NIS/NIS+ support from the
> > entire distribution. This thread is about removing NIS support from PAM.
> > That's an important distinction, because in practice, NIS/NIS+ support
> > mostly means the NSS modules, and the tools/servers in the case of NIS.

> > Dropping NIS support from PAM would mean losing only the ability to
> > change the passwords of users coming from NIS. It would not affect user
> > lookups, and password change would still be possible using yppasswd.
> > There does not even seem to be any NIS+ support in PAM - nothing seems
> > to include <rpcsvc/nis.h>.

> > Personlly, I think bundling NIS password changing capability in pam_unix
> > was a design mistake. It should always have been a distinct module.

> Can we provide a separately packaged pam_unix_nis which can be used
> instead of pam_unix in cases where this functionality is still
> required?

Yes, that is technically possible and something I've already considered.  I
wasn't going to offer it up as a solution without some evidence of demand
(which I would say this thread hasn't yet established), since it would
require additional work on the package.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org