On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 03:26:37AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jan 03, Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:

> > Debian's default sysctl settings should reside in procps (as it owns
> > /sbin/sysctl and /etc/sysctl* settings) rather than some unrelated
> > package.
> Nowadays systemd is a source of common sysctl settings among different
> distributions.

Debian still supports other init systems in the archive besides systemd.
Should ping fail to run on a Debian system that is not using systemd?

We also recently ran into a bug with systemd in Ubuntu because the "common
sysctl settings among different distributions" that they had added clobbered
settings that had been shipped for years already in the Ubuntu procps
package.  No thank you.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1962038

What would really be a great place for shipping common sysctl settings among
different distributions would be in the Linux kernel, instead of diverging
from the kernel defaults in userspace and representing this as "common".

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org