Sam Hartman <hartm...@debian.org> writes:

> As someone who has been following this, I support the work Helmut and
> Simon Richter have been doing.

> I have more confidence in that view than the one Luca is proposing.
> I also support Shawn's interpretation that being conservative here is
> good.

> I think even with my support we have no consensus.  However hopefully we
> can get a few more people who have been reading the whole thread to
> chime in and a consensus will appear.

I've also been following this.

I appreciate Luca's questioning of the necessity of parts of the approach
and looking for simpler solutions; I think that's valuable feedback, and
we should avoid assuming that every conceivable edge case is supported in
Debian.  There are unsupported edge cases in Debian already and likely
always will be because distributions are complex.

That said, I find Helmut and Simon's analysis to be more persuasive so
far.  I do think we should try to find a fairly robust solution, because
the feature we're trying to support here (smooth upgrades) is a core and
defining feature of what makes Debian Debian.  That doesn't mean we need
to support literally anything someone might have done; that won't be
possible.  But I think there are going to be enough unanticipated problems
that we should try to cover the anticipated problems, and that includes at
least the relatively obvious or known outside-of-Debian uses of things
like diversions.

I would like to stay open to addressing some of those problems via
documentation or explicit upgrade instructions where that makes sense.  If
we have places where there's a choice between writing extremely tricky and
complicated code versus providing people with simple instructions for how
to locate problematic diversions on their system, remove them before the
upgrade, and then put them back afterwards (or accomplish their goal in
some other way), we should consider taking the documentation approach
instead.  But that still requires being able to enumerate at least the
most likely problems and understand them.

For example, if local system administrators have been deactivating systemd
units by diverting them, at first glance I think it would be better to
clearly tell them that they should stop doing this and instead use
masking rather than writing code to try to ensure this continues working.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>